Herbal Immune Soup Recipe
Posted on 13 July 2015 by Leonie Satori
With the winter months upon us, soups and vegetable broths with nourishing herbs are a perfect way to improve our immune system. This recipe is quick to prepare, even if you are feeling a little under the weather. Herbs and medicinal mushrooms make this soup both food and medicine, organic unpasteurized miso aids digestion and benefits the immune system.This Herbal Immune Soup is our go-to recipe when anyone in our household is suffering from any kind of winter lurgy or finding foods generally harder to digest. Not essentially a meal in itself, this immune soup is intended as more of a pick-me up after illness or a nourishing and simple to digest broth to keep fluids optimal during colds or when the immune system is compromised.
- One carrot, scrubbed and roughly chopped
- One potato, scrubbed clean and roughly cubed
- One stick of celery (with tops) chopped
- One big bunch of parsley or kale
- One generously heaped tablespoon of organic miso paste
- 1 teaspoon of organic ashwagandha root*
- 2 teaspoons of organic astragalus root*
- 2 teaspoons of organic codonopsis root*
- 2-3 maitake mushroom slices*
- One handful of sliced (or 5-6 whole) shiitake mushrooms*
- A pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 8-10 cups of water
* These herbs can be purchased individually in our health centre in Lismore or through our online store. This combination of herbs and medicinal mushrooms can also be purchased as an Herbal Immune Soup Pack in store.
Simmer the soup over a medium heat until the vegetables are cooked through, this can take approximately 20 minutes. You will find that in this time the mushrooms will have plumped up and the parsley or kale would have changed colour. All of the ingredients of this soup can be eaten as part of the soup, however if your appetite is low you may wish to only consume the broth from this soup. The potato, celery and carrot can be eaten once the appetite returns or they can be added to other recipes for other family members. The medicinal mushrooms in this soup will lose some of their flavour to the broth; however I will always consume these with the broth even if I am feeling unwell.
About the ingredients in the Herbal Immune Soup
The basis for this recipe is essentially a potassium broth; this is an ancient formula for replenishing essential minerals and electrolytes in the body during times of convalescence. Organic miso aids digestion and helps to restore the normal flora in the gut, and is beneficial for supporting the immune system. Medicinal mushrooms such as shiitake and maitake are rich in B vitamins and particularly beneficial for the immune system. Ashwagandha is an Ayurvedic herb that is particularly beneficial during convalescence, astragalus is known for its antibacterial and antiviral properties and codonopsis helps to build strength in the body through long term illness.
The content of this website and any provided materials, research, or communications are for informational purposes only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional health advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your qualified health practitioner with any questions you may have regarding your health condition.